Wool is a better choice for your health and for the environment and a great investment. Even though you will be spending more money on a woolen product, we believe it’s totally worth it. With the weather upon us and the holidays around the corner, now is the best time to INVEST in wool. Also wool is not limited to clothing. Rugs, blankets, pillows, carpet are just a few of many items that can be made out of wool.
I am one of those people that can feel and smell natural products. My body is hyper sensitive to that and it always has been. However…I get caught up on the ease and price of synthetic clothing. Especially with my kids. Running to Old Navy is a whole lot easier then scouring the internet for organic 100% Merino wool pajamas.
Let’s face it…life gets incredibly busy and pondering about natural fibers happens – NEVER!!! Until after having a conversation with my sister about the synthetic smell in kitchen garbage bags that led to her saying, “You have to watch the documentary STINK!” Wow, what an eye opener. The documentary talks about the unnecessary toxic chemicals, including fragrances in clothes. The truth is materials made in a laboratory are predominantly what we are all wearing these days. And our bodies are suffering.
A Great Investment
So why is wool better? Man…if it wasn’t for that documentary I would have not searched wool. I am so happy I did. Wool is that long lost friend…that I didn’t know I had and missed so much. When I was a kid we wore wool sweaters, scarves and gloves. Our blankets were made out of wool, same with our tights. I miss that feeling.
It may seem like a luxury now to purchase wool products, because yes they are more money, but wool should be and can be an investment. Plus the benefits out way the costs just like anything natural does.
Why Wool Is A Better Choice
- Natural – Wool is a natural material; something grown, not made in a lab! If you are like me, your body will know the difference.
- Naturally Fire Resistant – Wow! I didn’t know that. Wool does not catch on fire and actually acts as a fire retardant. Ideal for children clothing or carpet.
- Anti-Microbial & Anti-Bacterial – Wool treated with lanolin resists odor, water seepage, unwanted microbes and bacteria.
- Dust Mite Resistant – When it comes to your bedding, wool is not the ideal place for dust mites to hang out. So if you are allergic or are grossed out by dust mites, like me, wool pillows and bedding are ideal.
- Breathability – Wool is the most breathable material, making it both cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It actually helps regulating your body temperature.
- Renewable Resource – a sheep grows a new coat of wool annually and is not harmed during the shearing. Purchasing wool also supports small farms make a living!
- Lasting – Wool products last decades with the proper care. Wool clothing has the integrity for handing down to a friend. Rugs and blankets last a life time.
Where To Find 100% Wool
I have listed companies selling 100% wool products. Always look for discounts and check out online stores selling used items like Ebay and Etsy. I have found a couple Oxacan wool rugs on Craigslist that I love. Also, don’t forget to pass it down like children clothes. I promise you will not regret your investment 🙂